Without proper at-home oral care, you will be spending more time in the dentist chair and more money on dental bills, not to mention the ill effects on your teeth and gums. Here are some tips for proper at-home oral care, and if you are experiencing a dental emergency, contact Colonial Dental Group in Glenview, IL.
Brushing your Teeth
- Brush your teeth each morning and each evening before you go to bed.
- Spend a total of 2 minutes gentle brushing each surface of each tooth.
- Grip your toothbrush firmly at a 45-degree angle.
- Wait at least 30 minutes before eating after you brush your teeth.
Flossing your Teeth
- Floss your teeth at least once each day.
- Floss between all of your teeth, even at the back.
- Wrap the floss around your first fingers and run it gently up and down your teeth.
- Unwind clean floss as you go.
- If you have difficulty with flossing thread, use floss picks or a water flosser.
Rinse with Mouthwash
- After brushing and flossing, rinse with mouthwash.
- Take a small sip of mouthwash, rinse it around your mouth for 30 seconds, and then spit.
Clean your Tongue
- Use a tongue scraper or a small amount of toothpaste on your brush.
- Clean your tongue with gentle, circular motions.
- Avoid going too far back and triggering your gag reflex.
- Rinse your mouth with water afterward.
Keep up the good work at home, and don’t forget to visit your Glenview dentist twice a year for check-ups and professional cleaning. You’ll be able to tell if your oral health is good because your teeth will be white, your gums will be pink, and your breath will be fresh.
While we are currently closed for general oral care due to the Covid-19 situation, if you are experiencing a dental emergency, our Glenview is still able to help. Call us at (847) 729-2233 if you are experiencing oral pain or other concerning symptoms.