My Dentistry Blog
Posts for: August, 2019
An inflammation or infection in your tooth pulp or tooth trauma doesn't have to result in the loss of your tooth. Dr. Alexander Quezada, your dentist at Colonial Dental Group in Glenview, IL, offers tooth-saving root canal procedures that will protect your smile.
How does root canal therapy work?
Root canal therapy replaces your tooth pulp with a durable, rubber-based material called gutta-percha. The pulp, located deep inside your tooth, contains soft tissues, nerves, and blood vessels. Removing the pulp ends your pain but doesn't affect the normal functioning of your tooth.
How can I tell if I need a root canal?
You may notice one or more of these signs or symptoms if you need a root canal:
- Pain in Your Tooth: Pain is the reason many people who need root canals visit the dentist. When the inflammation or infection first starts, pain may be mild or intermittent. If you ignore it, it will become stronger and last longer.
- Difficulty Eating Certain Foods: Tooth sensitivity can be an indication that you need a root canal. The inflammation or infection can irritate the nerves, causing pain when you eat or drink foods and beverages that are hot, cold, or sugary. Sensitivity can last up to 30 minutes after you eat or drink.
- Uncomfortable Gums: The gums around your tooth can become red, swollen and painful if you need a root canal.
- Change in Tooth Color: In some cases, teeth that need root canals may darken.
- Tooth Trauma: Root canals may be needed after a tooth injury.
Do you have any of these signs and symptoms? Call your Glenview, IL, dentist, Dr. Alexander Quezada of Colonial Dental Group, at (847) 729-2233 to schedule an appointment.