Many people have stained or discolored teeth and it leads to a lack of confidence in their smile. Teeth can become discolored or stained for many reasons, from what we eat and drink to simply getting older.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
The most common reasons that teeth darken are:
- Drinking soda. The acid in soda is one of the worst things for your teeth. This acid can speed up deterioration of the enamel and lead to cavities.
- Drinking coffee and tea. Coffee and tea are both dark liquids and the color can stain your enamel. Also, the heat from these beverages can actually cause tiny fractures in the enamel on your teeth, which can increase the amount of staining.
- Smoking and other tobacco products. Smoking will cause a yellow to orange color build up on your teeth and these types of stains typically take much longer to lighten using whitening treatments.
- Using certain medications. Tetracycline and minocycline are two of the most common medications shown to cause tooth discoloration.
- Fluoride ingestion. If larger amounts of fluoride are ingested during the tooth’s formation, it can lead to different colored areas of enamel.
- Trauma to the tooth. If you have suffered any sort of trauma to your mouth or teeth, it can sometimes lead to tooth discoloration. This is due to a hemorrhage in inside the tooth, which forces blood into the tubules inside the tooth.
Treatments for Discolored Teeth
If you suffer from discolored teeth, there are special tooth whitening treatments that will help lighten your teeth. The most common and least expensive treatments are whitening or tooth bleaching treatments.
While there are many over-the-counter tooth bleaching products on the market today, these kits are typically not the best option for whitening results. Despite the low cost of these products, the results are typically not very good and they can sometimes be difficult and messy to use.
The best tooth whitening options are professional whitening services. The first option is a professional at-home whitening kit which will include custom made treatment trays. The second option is an in-office treatment using lasers and professional strength bleaching agents.
Learn more about why teeth darken.
Don’t be ashamed of your smile any longer. It’s time to finally do something about your stained teeth and show the world a smile you can be proud of. Please contact the Chicago-based office of Colonial Dental Group for a personal and complimentary tooth whitening consultation. We will discuss the options for teeth whitening and decide on the best treatment plan for you.